Hide minor edits - Show changes to output
Changed lines 3-62 from:
1. List the files in current directory sorted by size ? - ls -l | grep ^- | sort -nr 2. List the hidden files in current directory ? - ls -a1 | grep "^\." 3. Delete blank lines in a file ? - cat sample.txt | grep -v ‘^$’ > new_sample .txt.Debug.
4. Search for a sample string in particular files ? - grep
*.confHere grep uses the string . Debug. to search in all files with extension..conf. under current directory. the
last newly appending lines of a file during appendingdata to the same file by some processes ? - tail .f Debug. logHere tail shows the newly appended data into Debug.log by some processes/user. -
6. Display the Disk Usage of file sizes under each directory in currentDirectory ?
du -k * | sort .nr (or) du .k . | sort - nrdirectory
7. Change to a directory, which is having very long name ? - cd CDMA_3X_GEN*Here original
name is . . CDMA_3X_GENERATION_DATA.. 8. Display the all files recursively with path under current directory ? - find . -depth -print
9. Set the Display automatically for the current new user ? - export DISPLAY=`eval ‘who am i | cut -d"(" -f2 | cut -d")" -f1′`Here in above command, see single quote, double quote, grave ascent is used. Observe carefully. 10. Display the processes, which are running under yourusername ? - ps . aef | grep MaheshvjHere, Maheshvj is the username. Ctrl+
11. List some Hot Keys for bash shell ? -
l . Clears the Screen. Ctrl+r . Does a search in previously given commands in shell. Ctrl+u - Clears the typing before the hotkey. Ctrl+ a . Places cursor at the beginning of the command at shell. Ctrl+e . Places cursor at the end of the command at shell. Ctrl+d . Kills the shell. Ctrl+z . Places the currently running process into background.-
12. Display the files in the directory by file size ?
ls .ltr | sort .nr . k 5.
How to save man pages to a file ? - man <command> | col .b > <output-file>Example : man top | col . b > top_help.txt.
14. How to know the date & time for . when script is executed ? - Add the following script line in shell script
eval echo "Script is executed at `date`" >> timeinfo.infHere, .timeinfo.inf. contains date & time details ie., when script is executed and history related to execution. in
15. How do you find out drive statistics ? - iostat -E
16. Display disk usage
Kilobytes ? - du - k -
17. Display top ten largest files/directories ? - du -sk * | sort -nr | head
18. How much space is used for users in kilobytes ?
quot - af -
19. How to create null file ?
cat /dev/null > filename1 -
20. Access common commands quicker ?
ps -ef | grep -i $@ -
21. Display the page size of memory ?
22. Display Ethernet Address arp table ? - arp -a
no.of active established connections to localhost ? - netstat -a | grep EST-
24. Display the state of interfaces used for TCP/IP traffice ? - netstat
25. Display the parent/child tree of a process ? - ptree <pid> Example: ptree 1267
Show the working directory of a process ? - pwdx <pid> Example: pwdx 126730. Alternative for top command ? - prstat -a
27. Display the processes current open files ? - pfiles <pid> Example: pfiles 1267
28. Display the inter-process communication facility status ? - ipcs
29. Display the top most process utilizing most CPU ? - top .b 1
- ^- | sort -nr
sample .Debug. ..the . the -- directory . the ? - .
.Ctrl+ . the . Ctrl+ . the .
the the .- .. How to .. in ? - -- - - - - the ? - -. Alternative for top command ? - prstat -a
Added lines 1-62: